New York: Fort Plain Police say that one year old boy was found dead after he ingested liquid Nicotine.
Liquid Nicotine is a substance which is found in electronic cigarettes. When the liquid is heated it changes into vapors. E Cigarettes are sold in a variety of concentration and different flavors. It should not be ingested as a liquid into the body.
Till November 30th, there have been over 3638 exposures to the dangerous chemical. This more than doubles the figures last year when 1,543 exposures have been reported in the year 2013.
The baby died at its home when it was found unresponsive and was rushed to the hospital where it was pronounced on arrival. According to the police the incident was a tragic accident and it does not suspect any foul play.
Meanwhile Governor Andrew Cuomo is set to sign a bill in coming weeks that will require child-resistant caps on liquid nicotine bottles
It is still unclear if the liquid nicotine was meant for use in an e-cigarette. However officials have expressed concern about such tragic accidents happening in homes where e-cigarettes are used.
The American Association of Poison Control centers in a statement yesterday said, ‘One teaspoon of liquid nicotine could be lethal to a child, and smaller amounts can cause severe illness, often requiring trips to the emergency department.’
The association also stated that liquid nicotine is poisonous and is liable to be consumed by kids since no child-proof packaging standards set in place. The CDC said that only 60 milligrams of liquid nicotine is enough to kill an adult who weighs 150 pounds.
Greater Amsterdam Volunteer Ambulance Corps Operations Manager Michael Swartz said, “In the case of a child, less than a tablespoon can be a fatal event depending on the concentration of the fluid. And it’s just a matter of minutes. It doesn’t take long.”
This is the first fatality reported to liquid Nicotine since a man injected himself with the chemical in 2012.