Elon Musk is perhaps this decade’s biggest visionary. With SpaceX, Tesla, and perhaps soon a Hyperloop track under his belt, he is full of innovative ideas and has the money to put them into practice. As part of his SpaceX project, Elon Musk wants to start colonizing Mars within a decade.
- Elon Musk is a big Star Wars fan, naming SpaceX’s rockets after the Millennium Falcon
- The South African born billionaire got into the rocket business because it was profitable and he always liked rockets
- He plans on going to the ISS within 4 or 5 years, and doesn’t think it will be that hard
- By establishing a colony on Mars, he believes humans will be more motivated to keep exploring space
- He is also looking into creating a neural interface that allows you to upload your every thought to the cloud
The CEO of Tesla, SpaceX, and AECOM talked about his future plans regarding a future trip to Mars at a conference during an event in Hong Kong.
He said that his company will most likely send the first people by 2025, and then proceeded to talk about his dreams for the future of mankind on other planets.
Not only would establishing a colony on Mars serve for the proliferation of the human species in case of a natural disaster taking place on Earth, but it would also serve as a huge motivator to keep improving our space capabilities and eventually ending up inhabiting multiple planets.
Musk doesn’t really envision any other suitable planets on which to start our colonization of the galaxy, saying that once we have a foothold on Mars it will be far easier to start exploring other planets, even beyond our solar system.
He also plans on going to the International Space Station in four or five years, and he is certain that it’s not really that difficult to just ‘float around’.
The man is envisioning huge technological progress for our race in the near future, and with his amount of money, he is the most likely to actually get stuff done.
Having plans stretching for decades, both for here on Earth and for outer space, as well as the money to put them in practice, Elon Musk is either the most visionary mind of our time or a very clever and manipulative super villain.
Regardless of his intentions, establishing a city on Mars and then spreading out throughout the galaxy from there sounds like a very good and inspiring adventure for the human race.
Image source: Wikimedia