In a tragic incident, an 18 month toddler was suffocated to death after a home remedy lice treatment went horribly wrong.
According to Massachusetts police, an 18 year old toddler was suffocated to death because of a home remedy to get rid of lice which involved mayonnaise and a plastic bag.
The 18 month old girl was suffocated to death after a home remedy which involved mayonnaise and a plastic bag. The incident is being investigated by state Department of Children and Families, a Springfield police department spokesman said.
“This is a very sad incident,” said Sgt. John Delaney.
The kids scalp was smeared with mayonnaise and her head was covered by a plastic shopping bag. The child was left unattended and she apparently fell asleep. The bag which was covering her head slipped down over her face and suffocated her to death, according to the family’s account.
The police Springfield responded to the 18-month-old girl’s city home in central Massachusetts, about 90 miles west of Boston after they received a 911 call that the child was not breathing. Once the officers reached the location they found an adult administering CPR procedure to the child. However the medical team determined that the child was dead for some time.
Not much information exists on whether home lice treatments involving fats are effective and the Massachusetts Department of Health recommends using prescription and non-prescription medical shampoos to get rid of lice.