There has been quite the debate about the pot-linked death in Colorado. The CDC report has now been released and, as would be expected, it states the obvious. Although the overconsumption of marijuana might be a problem in most cases, this is really a special one, as death from pot is highly unlikely.
Apparently, the young man had never before consumed the recreational drug which is now legal in a total of four U.S. states. This is the only known report of a marijuana-related death in the state of Colorado since it was first legalized for casual use back in 2012.
How did the boy die? Apparently he was not properly warned that the effects of the drug, when in edible form, are severely delayed than when smoked. Although the boy of just 19 had not previously consumed marijuana, he did expect its effects to kick in a bit sooner.
This is how it went: the young man bought a single marijuana infused cookie from a sales clerk. He clerk had reportedly warned the boy to split it into six pieces and that each would contain more than enough marijuana for him to get high. The boy did so and ate one of the pieces he had broken off. Feeling nothing, the boy then decided to eat the whole of the cookie all within a single hour.
This immediately threw him into a drug induced craze which, officials report, was not necessarily what killed him, but effectively contributed to his mental decline. He began a guilt stricken speech complete with breaking a lamp and throwing himself around his room.
When the doctors made the autopsy, they found that he had 7.2 ng/mL THC in his blood stream. This is 2.2 grams above the driving limit for the intoxication chemical of marijuana in Colorado. Still, doctors say that this is far from enough to have caused a toxic reaction. The boy nevertheless was found on the ground. He had jumped from the four story apartment he was in, and died instantly.
There has been some speculation as to the fact that the boy could’ve had a predisposition to mental illness, and possibly a preexisting condition like psychosis or schizophrenia. Yet, there is the fact that the man had neither ever consumed marijuana before, nor alcohol.
One wonders whether the consumption of such a high dose of alcohol would’ve led to the same problem, or an even greater one?
Recently, in the states where the drug is legal, there has been a push for the correct labeling of the packages. Maybe if the boy had known that the effects could be delayed by even two hours, he would’ve waited instead of munching the cookie whole.