A man from Corpus Christi, Texas nearly died after being bitten by the head of a rattlesnake he decapitated with a shovel in his yard. The man’s wife, Jennifer Sutcliffe, spotted the 4-foot-long snake while they were doing yard work.
The man chopped the animal’s head off with a shovel, but when he grabbed the snake to dispose of it, the rattlesnake’s head bit his arm. The woman rushed him to a hospital after calling 911.
She recalls that her husband was having seizures and temporarily lost his vision. Doctors found that he was already bleeding internally. Since any second mattered, she asked an ambulance to take him to the ER.
The worst symptoms emerged in the first 24 hours. Medics were not sure that the man was going to survive despite injecting him with large quantities of anti-venom. Mrs. Sutcliffe explained that normally a person that gets bitten by a snake requires up to four doses of the treatment. Her husband needed 26 doses.
Man’s Condition Has Stabilized
Fortunately, his condition has stabilized in the meantime although his kidney function is not fully restored.
- Dr. Michael Halpert noted that being killed by a rattlesnake it is rare, but there have been some cases.
- Of the 6,000-8,000 people bitten every year by snakes in the country just a dozen people die.
Dr. Halpert recommends keeping your cool if you get bitten and ensure that you keep the area where the bite is below the heart level.
Go to the nearest emergency room immediately and describe the snake to doctors. If the snake was venomous, you’ll need an anti-venom.
Also, do not try to suck the venom out or cut the wound. A tourniquet, ice, and water can be applied to the area.
Image Source: Public Domain Pictures