A flesh eating Bacteria was present on Floria beaches recently, and the gruesome bacteria has already made two victims. Officials in Florida have already announced the public, namely the residents and the tourists that were on vacation in the area, that a potentially deadly bacteria is to be found in the seawater.
The bacteria is named Vibrio vulnificus and it appears that saltwater that is warm represents its favorite milieu and thus seven people are already infected, and two of them are dead. In the last year, other 32 cases were discovered. Doctors state that the summer time represents the peak of the season for Vibrio vulnificus, that multiplies a lot during the months of May through October.
Mara Burger from the Florida Health Department affirmed that shellfish should not be handled during these times, neither eaten raw. Eating rare oysters is also a big “don’t” at the current time. Swimming in these warm, salty waters also poses a great risk and it would be advisable for people to renounce this activity, especially if a person has any sort of open wound or even a scratch. Chesapeake Bay was one of the ares where the bacteria reoccurred and it is also an area belonging to the well-developed oyster industry.
The smallest negative effect from contracting such a bacteria would be gastroenteritis, whereas the most terrible one would be the amputation of a limb. Although infections with Vibrio vulnificus are rare, they did happen and the public has to be aware of the risks. The bacteria was first discovered in the 1970’s and it is related to the bacteria which causes cholera, another deadly enemy of man.
Due to the fact that recently the marine waters overheat during summer time, the bacteria has easily spread on the surface of the water because there it finds more “food”. The disease breaks out as red lesions on the skin, and then a general ill feeling followed by a high fever. People who suffer from liver disease are more likely to contract the bacteria that feeds on living tissue.
Image source: lne.eu