Do you have small children? Do you use laundry pods? Yes? No. Stop it. Don’t. No more laundry pods if you have children. Those little dearies will get their hands on anything and everything they grab, they’re bound to try to eat.
And you don’t want your kids eating laundry pods, now do you?
If you happen to be in the situation described above than the time has come for you to go into the bathroom and flush them all right down the toilet. An inquiry by Consumer Reports has been published this Thursday in which they warn about the prevalent dangers of keeping both your children and your laundry pods. The latter are just too… dangerous to deserve the risk of having your kid gobble it up.
Of course they’re toxic. What did you think? They are not candy, therefore they may not be chewed like candy. If you child ingests one laundry pod, you can say bye-bye to your nice relaxing evening in front of the TV or with a good book. You can then welcome a sleepless night in the hospital. And the same goes for dishwashing tablets, although the warning by Consumer Reports specify only the laundry pods, you can really see the problem occurring with the tablets also. If you really need any of these two items, put them away, somewhere unreachable by the little ones.
The rates of poisoning of children from “accidentally” ingesting laundry pods is staggeringly high, according to a study published by the Nationwide Children’s Hospital. This was the main reason that prompted the aforementioned Consumer Reports to warn families to do away with laundry pods.
According to study, which was conducted between 2012 and 2013, there have been reports of over 17 thousand poisonings. That’s only the children which have been rushed to the hospital. It’s probable that many did not, and therefore faced graver health problems.
The statement by Consumer Reports said that not only biting and swallowing the chemically packed products are bad for the children, but also inhaling, as well as even touching them. The bigger issue is that somehow, these balls are left in places easy to find even by infants under 2 years old. The results show that these cases accounted for a mind-blowing two-thirds of the poisonings.
Dr. Gary Smith, one of the doctors who collaborated in the study, said that new safety standards and regulations should be created for these small and extremely poisonous little balls. These should explicitly say that they are forbidden around children under the age of six.